Planning Meetings 2008
Regular meetings: Columbia Friends of China has a planning meeting on the second Wednesday of each month, at 4 pm, at the International Community Church, 1107 University Avenue.
Here are links concerning previous years' planning: 2007
May 14, 2008
Columbia Friends of China board meeting at International Community Church, May 14, 2008
Meeting called to order by President Hsiao-Mei Wiedmeyer at 5:10 pm.
Members present: Lynda Linneman, Lesley Sapp, Kris Nocula, Alice Reese, Richard Heimburger, Tim Spurgeon, Mary Jo Herde, Jim DeMian, Chuning Feng, Greg Johnson, Brian Gauler, Noor Aziz Gardner and Hsiao-Mei Wiedmeyer.
New officers and board members were announced.
Treasurer Leslie Sapp handed out a financial report.
Hsiao-Mei invited two teachers who discussed the present status of Chinese language in Columbia Public School System and plans for further expansion in the future.
Our present status as a not-for profit 501-C volunteer organization was substantiated. We discussed the need to raise money for our programs, projects, and other activities. Tan T-Shirts were selected with logo on front and print on back and 100 to be ordered at cost of $7 and sell for $10 to members and $12 to non-members.
On May 10, 2008, Dr. and Mrs. Dick Bodman gave a program on “A Chinese-American Family in China” which was well attended and educational. Afterward Hongyuan Lang (Mrs. Bodman) led a class session on Tai-Chi.
Programs planned for the remainder of 2008 include:
- June 14, 2008 a trip is planned to Kansas City for the Dragon Boat Festival in which Rotary Clubs compete. Other Chinese cultural events also occur. A bus might be arranged to carry a maximum of 22 passengers or a university van at a charge of $20 for members or $25 for non-members.
- June 18, 2008, Charles Chin and daughter will talk about a visit to Hong Kong, China, and Japan.
- On July 24 or 31, 2008 Alex LaBrunerie will present a panel discussion on investment opportunities in China.
- In September, Dr. Jim Austin will discuss “Zen and the Liberal Arts of Living”
- On October 9, 2008 our annual Dumpling Festival will follow our CFC meeting Oct. 8
Columbia Public Schools will hold Chinese language and culture classes in grades 7-9 in 8-week to 12-week segments. We also discussed summer enrichment programs with some possible certification. A Korean culture camp and awareness was discussed.
Meeting adjourned at 6:15 pm. Yours truly, Richard A. Heimburger
June 11, 2008
Review of previous meetings. Treasurer's report.
CFC T-Shirts are available, $10 for members, $12 for non-memebers.
The Dragon Boat Festival in Kansas City is Saturday June 14. We have room for a few more people.
- Business with China with Brian Gauler: July
- Zen in Art with Dr. James Austin: Sep 18, 2008
- Dumpling Festival: Thursday, October 9, 2008
Education committee's meeting with Columbia Public Schools on June 11.
Website updates noted and suggestions solicited.
(There were other planning meetings in 2008, but minutes have not yet been updated here.)